- Trade union women’s history
- Role of peak labour councils
- Labour History
- Trade union theory and practice
Cathy’s current research includes an exploration of women in trade unions and peak unions; analysing historical patterns of women’s representation in peak unions. The initial stage of the project examined the historical and contemporary role of women trade union delegates in the Victorian Trades Hall Council (THC). The current phase of the project includes examination of the Female Confectioners Union, a key women’s union. She is also engaged in a research project on Union Collaboration exploring inter-union federations and alliances (with Dr Sarah Kaine, University of Technology, Sydney).
- Separate organising and the Female Confectioners Union, 1916-1945
- Union Collaboration in Australia in the 21st Century (with Dr Sarah Kaine, University of Technology, Sydney).
- Gender and peak unions